Christmas Mock or Cocktails
GINGER HIBISCUS MARTINI / MOCKTAIL
Fresh flavors and the brilliant magenta hue make this martini variation a perfect HOT Australian weather sipper!
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup dried hibiscus
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- GINGER HIBISCUS MARTINI
- 1.5 ounces hibiscus tea, 1 shot (see notes)
- 1.5 ounces Meyer (or other) fresh lemon juice, 1 shot
- 6 slices fresh ginger, sliced very thin
- ice, in shaker
- 9 Tablespoons gin, 3 shots
- 3 Tablespoons white vermouth, 1
- lemon twists/fresh raspberry/mint for garnish
SWEETENED HIBISCUS TEA
- Bring water to a boil. Remove from the heat source. Add the hibiscus. Allow to steep until cool. Sweeten with agave nectar. (See notes).
GINGER HIBISCUS MARTINI
- Muddle the sliced ginger with the hibiscus tea and fresh lemon juice (in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice, the gin, and the vermouth.
- Shake vigorously.
- Strain into martini glasses. Add chosen garnish
NOTES: We often prefer to sweeten with agave nectar rather than taking the time to make a simple syrup. Substitute your preferred sweetener to taste. My tea recipe is still fairly tart.
FESTIVE GIN SMASH
For the lychee layer
- 190g canned lychees, drained
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 90ml Gin (leave out for a non-boozy version)
For the strawberry layer
- 500g strawberries, hulled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of salt
For the Mint Layer
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 30 mint leaves, finely chopped
200ml SodaStream sparkling water
- To prepare the SodaStream sparkling water, fill a SodaStream 1 Litre Bottle with cold water and carbonate.
- Place all ingredients for the lychee layer in a blender and process until the consistency is similar to a slushie.
- Place strawberries, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, lemon and salt in a glass jar. Using a muddler, crush and soften the strawberries and spices to release the flavours and aroma.
- Mix crushed ice and mint in a small bowl.
- To serve, divide the lychee mixture equally between two 400ml capacity stemless glasses.
- Divide and ladle the strawberry mixture over the lychee mixture in the glasses. Top with mint and crushed ice.
- Top each glass with 100ml sparkling water and serve.
POMEGRANATE ROSEMARY SPRITZER
- 1 bottle prosecco (replace with mineral water for cocktail)
- 2 ounces peach schnapps (omit for cocktail)
- 4 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 ounces pom juice
- 1 small bottle mango flavored soda water
- 6-8 sprigs rosemary
- 1 fresh pomegranate
- .5 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Add 1 cup of water to a small pan with 2-3 sprigs of rosemary, bring to a boil.
- Add sugar to boiling water and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat, strain rosemary leaves and set to cool.
- Clean and de-seed pomegranate. Set seeds aside.
- Pour Prosecco evenly into 4 cocktail glasses.
- Add .5 ounces of peach schnapps, .5 ounces rosemary simple syrup, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 ounce pom juice and a splash of mango soda water to each glass and stir.
- Add 1 tablespoon of pomegranate seeds to each glass.
- Allow the pomegranate seeds time to float to the top of the glass and garnish with 1 sprig of rosemary.
Best if made with chilled prosecco and peach schnapps, or with 1 - 2 ice cubes if needed.